The Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card is a premium business credit card issued by American Express. All of the rewards for using this card come in the form of SkyMiles, redeemable towards Delta flights, seat upgrades, car rentals, merchandise, gift cards, and more.
The Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card is packed with travel and transportation benefits you’d expect from this type of luxury card. The overall intention is to provide advantages of comfort, convenience, rewards, and savings every time you travel with Delta.
The annual fee is steeper than many other cards, but well worth it for any business with routine, substantial expenses (even sole proprietors) and especially those who prefer to fly using Delta Airlines.
According to U.S. News and World Report, American Express is one of the leading card issuers in the United States, known for its top-notch customer service and some of the best rewards available.
The Essentials of the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
- APR charges on purchases: A variable rate, currently 17.24% – 26.24%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors determined at the time of account opening.
- Annual fee: $550
- Travel rewards: 3 miles on every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta. 1 Mile on every eligible dollar spent on other purchases
- Introductory bonus offer: Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 MQMs after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of card membership. Offer expires 4/1/2020.
What’s Interesting about the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
Despite the higher-than-average annual fee, this card offers an attractive package of perks that travelers will relish. Check out these benefits:
- Complimentary Delta Sky Club® access:Enjoy snacks and beverages, Wi-Fi access, satellite TV, personalized flight assistance, private restrooms and more at the Club. Plus, you’re eligible to bring up to two guests flying on Delta to the Club, at a per-visit rate of $29 per guest. (Starting 1/30/2020, the per-visit rate to access the Delta Sky Club® will be $39 per person.)
- Main Cabin 1 priority boarding:Early boarding on Delta flights is a benefit. You can board your flight when Main Cabin 1 priority boarding is called and settle in sooner.
- 24/7 concierge staff: A personal resource, whether you need help with restaurant selection, arranging details for a special event or advice selecting a gift. The concierge service can take care of many requests.
- Miles Boost®:Spend $30,000 or more in eligible purchases on the card in a calendar year and earn 15,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles toward Medallion Status. Earn an additional 15,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles after spending $60,000 in eligible purchases in a calendar year.
- Companion certificate: Receive a Domestic First Class, Delta Comfort+® or Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your card. Taxes, fees, baggage charges and other restrictions may apply.
- Baggage insurance plan: Coverage for lost, damaged, or stolen baggage during travel on a common carrier when the entire fare for a ticket for the trip is charged to your eligible card account. Some exclusions and restrictions apply.
- Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance: Coverage if your eligible rental car is damaged or stolen when you use your card to reserve and pay for the vehicle rental and decline the collision damage waiver at the rental car counter. Some restrictions apply. (This provides secondary coverage, not liability coverage.)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Customer service 24/7 whenever needed
- Expense management tools to help track and organize expenses
Things to Consider about the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
If you’re a frequent traveler with Delta airlines and your business expenses are predictably high every month, it’s hard to find anything negative about this card. Travel will be more enjoyable and convenient by utilizing its broad range of benefits.
But for those whose monthly expenses are typically low, or travel is less frequent, it would be more practical to choose a card with a lower annual fee.
How to Get the Most out of the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
Here’s the ideal user of the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card:
- You travel consistently and you know that monthly charges to your card will be high. Your plan is to earn mileage that more than offsets the card’s annual fee.
- You especially enjoy luxuries that come with a premium card, like seat upgrades, using the Delta Sky Club to slip away from noise and crowds while waiting for flights, early priority boarding, and a dedicated concierge staff when you need them.
- You’re confident that you’ll spend at least $5,000 in the first 3 months you have the card, in order to get the 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles.
- Ideally, you’re able to pay off the balance each month. The interest rates for this card are decent at the lower end of Amex’s scale, but quite high if your creditworthiness isn’t good.
Other Card Options That Might Interest You
What if you love the perks of the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card, but travel less frequently and have lower business expenses? You could consider the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card instead. The annual fee is $250.
You can still earn priority boarding, first bag checked free, and a domestic main cabin companion certificate each year upon renewal of your card, while also earning up to 100,000 bonus miles. Earn 80,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of card membership. Offer expires 4/1/2020.
If you’re not as concerned about the air travel luxuries but you stay at hotels and don’t want to be locked into one specific airline, you might like the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card.
With this card, you can fly any airline and stay at any hotel with no blackout dates. Plus, your miles can be transferred to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs. They offer a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you’ve spent $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from opening the account. Currently, their annual fee is $95, and it’s waived for the first year.
The Final Word
Frequent travelers benefit in multiple ways from the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card. The premium luxuries offered makes travel much more pleasant. Yes, there’s a high annual fee, but the welcome bonus miles alone that new card-owners can earn easily offset the fee.
Estimate your average month’s expenses, along with the likelihood of frequent travel, to determine whether this high-reward card is right for your business. If comfort and convenience are high on your list, this card may be the most suitable choice.