When rolling over your 401(k) is the wrong move

You’re highly organized

It doesn’t matter if you’re earning better returns if you forget your account exists. Only people who are really on top of their finances should leave a 401(k) with an old employer.

Here’s how to make sure you don’t lose tabs on your old plan:

  • If you change your address, phone number or email address, notify your old plan.
  • If you learn that your former employer has moved, been acquired, merged with another company or gone bankrupt, contact the plan administrator or the company’s human resources department to see how the change will affect your 401(k).

Even if you forget about your account, your money is protected under federal law.

You can find records of past contributions on old W2s, and you can track down old accounts using the National Registry of Unclaimed Retirement Benefits or the U.S. Department of Labor’s Abandoned Plan Search.